1. Melt butter or margarine and gently cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add veal and cook 3-4 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
2. Add water, herbs, peas and barley, bring to the boil, cover and simmer
for 1½ hours.
3. Add potato, kohlrabi, leek, carrot and parsnip and cook for a further 20 minutes. Remove veal.
4. Add celery, beans and mushrooms to
soup and simmer a further 10 minutes.
5. While vegetables are cooking, remove meat from veal bone and return meat to soup. Serve topped with parsley.
Nutritional information per serve:
Protein 25 g; fat 4 g; carbohydrate 29 g;
excellent dietary fiber 8 g; sodium 140 mg;
1050 KJ (250 Cals)
Other features: A very good source of niacin, riboflavin, potassium and vitamin A and a good source of thiamin, zinc, iron and vitamin C.